Component 2 and Achievements
Outcome 2 focussed on ‘Sustainable Development and CMPA management integrated into broader land/seascape in the Outer Islands’ and comprised of six outputs. The key achievements undertaken for each output were as follows:
Output 2.1: Spatially-based decision support system in place to enable integrated natural resource management in the Outer Islands
- The OIP has supported the MEECC’s Climate Science and Data Management (CSDM) Section by:
- An example of gender transformation by the project - OIP supported MEECC's Climate Science and Data Management (CSDM) Section with the salary of a young female GIS technician.
- Provision of equipment, such as plotters and laptops.
Output 2.2: Land Use Plans completed for targeted Islands
- Land Use Plans produced for Alphonse, Desroches, Farquhar and Poivre.
Output 2.3: Ecosystem-wide Zoning & Master Strategy for the Outer Islands in place
- Supported MSP/TNC in the approval of Milestone 2 of the MSP being 26% (approximately 350,915 km² / 35,091,500-ha) of the EEZ;
- Amirantes to Fortune Bank ‘Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty’ from 136,753 km² to 173,468 km² (increased from 10.1% to 12.8%).
Output 2.4: Institutional Capacity strengthened for the implementation of Integrated Natural Resource
- The project has built the capacity of the MEECC and ICS staff on Information Management systems, Geographic Information System (GIS) and database management;
- Provided support to ICS to develop its geodatabase.
Output 2.5: Ecosystem Restoration & Invasive Species Management Support PA management objectives
- Vegetation Management plans completed for Alphonse, Desroches and Farquhar;
- Restoration and maintenance of the 15 ha restored on Desroches. A tortoise sanctuary and native tree trail has been built and rain water harvesting infrastructure has been developed;
- Pest Abatement protocol and awareness materials finalised.
Output 2.6: Monitoring & Management of Ecosystem Functions reduce land and resource degradation at PA sites
- Development and implementation of programmes for Coastal Erosion Control and Beach Profiling on the four Outer Island sites.